yellow poppy

Meeting May 18th, 2011 Board Meets: 6:30 p.m. General Meeting: 7:30 p.m

This month a representative from Helena Trailer Sales will give a talk on maintenance and getting your trailer ready for the summer

FROM THE PRESIDENT

Yee! Haa! How about that weather?? I think we now have spring. If you haven't checked out the new Changes to the Helena Trail rider web site, please do. There is now an Omok-see schedule and a Tentative trail ride schedule, but not limited to this, so if you still want to lead a ride, schedule it with Eileen Taylor and will get it added. The Historical Fair on the wallking mall is coming up, and we will be looking for volunteers to help at our table and also take part in ticket sales for our fund raiser this month for a chance to win a beautiful hand made wagon. So if you haven't gotten your ticket please do so, see you on the mall! Next meeting May 18th, at 7:30pm.

Sheri Onstott, President

FROM THE VICE PRESIDENT

Hello fellow trail riders, looks like spring may be thinking about actually popping her head out and we will all be able to spend lots of time in the saddle. As all of you know we will be working the gates of the Stampede and with that in mind would like to get an early start on the schedule so we can get the shifts covered. I have attached the calendars for each gate so if you could please mark what you can work on either gate that would be great and email it back to me at dizzywarrenusa@yahoo.com or bring it to the June meeting so that I can have cards done for you by July that would be super. Here is hoping you have lots of great days of riding and will be seeing you at the HTR rides and functions that Eileen prepared for us in calendar format. Happy Spring :0)

Chris Warren, Vice-President

FROM THE SECRETARY

The April meeting of the Helena Trail Riders Board of Directors was called to order by President Sheri Onstott at 6:35 p.m. Directors present were: Bob Braico, Cheryl Schmidt, Heather Hollandsworth, and Roberta Lawson and Vice-President Chris Warren. Eileen Taylor and Sandi Merchen were absent.

Minutes were read and approved motion by Bob and seconded by Roberta.

Correspondence

Fairgrounds sent information about the Stampede Fair, events calendar, Spring Fest Carnival, 2011 Stampede parade Wednesday July 27 at 1pm beginning at Front Street. Theme is “Fair Gone Wild” and included an entry blank. The deadline is July 15. We also received our contract for the gates at the Stampede.

Treasurer

Mary Kelly, wants to auto-pay NW Energy power bill. Mary motioned to approved, 2nd Bob and all approved. See Mary Kelly’s separate treasurer report. Treasurer’s report was motioned to approve by Chris and seconded by Sheri and all approved.

She indicates that Edward Jones recommends leaving our money in the money market account. Bills for month were $236.44 Power Townsend, $8.80 stamps Cheryl, $102.27 NW Energy, insurance $932.25. The bills were motioned to approve by Cheryl and 2nd by Heather and all approved. Of note – our last power bill was $326.45 and that was the one where the heat was not taken care of by the District 2 Omaksee when they left the building.

Directors’ Reports

Roberta-Social Director: Sent Pat Jones’s family a sympathy card. She asked about social events for the year: do we want a Halloween party? The consensus was maybe an Octoberfest instead of Halloween. A Christmas party and an ice cream social for the July meeting.

Cheryl-Historian: She finished the photo album and brought it with her. It is ready for the Historical Fair. She has not finished the cookbook. Wants to do a ride for Eagle Mount to raise money, needs volunteers for the Historical Fair 5/21/11. Asks us to spell-check and edit our reports. She would like to get an estimate for have the floors professionally cleaned.

Eileen-Trail Director: Absent.

Heather- Program Director: Stated that Tessa Gray would be giving this night’s program about her trip to Switzerland. May meeting will be the Helena Trailer shop, June will be about fire and pine beetle with Sonny Stiger, July is the ice cream social. And we will start the annual poker game - drawing twice tonight, once for March and once for April. $5 per hand,

Bob-Maintenance Director:
1. He and Jan installed rolled roofing on the sign out front.
2. Rocks have been readied for the frontend loader at the arena.
3. Club house is all cleaned. There were very few who came for the annual cleanup and most were in the senior citizen category.
4. The Trail Rider sign is ready to be picked up – Bob paid them $50 for their work at Capital High.
5. Power Townsend windows are in and Bob will start getting it ready to install.
6. Check list for clubhouse use. Anyone wanting to use the club has to sign the contract.
Motioned to approve by Cheryl and 2nd by Mary Kelly and all approved. A copy of the checklist is to be laminated and posted in the clubhouse. Heather suggested we send the bill for NW Energy to Sandy Merchen for possible re-imbursement following their failure to make the necessary adjustments to the heating system when they were finished with the clubhouse for the District 2 Omaksee. Heather motioned to approve, 2nd by Bob and all approved.
7. Websites have been updated by Cheryl Bryant. Bob thought there was too much history and we should only store present and previous newsletters. Motion to approve by Cheryl, 2nd by Bob and all approved. Cheryl will thank Cheryl Bryant for the website work. All pictures will remain.
8. Our release for liability needed to be rewrote to improve it and Cheryl Bryant assisted with that. Motion to approve by Bob and 2nd by Cheryl and all approved.
9. Bob suggested that the minutes of the last meeting as an attachment to the newsletter.
10. Nothing new to report on High Divide Trails.

Sandi Merchen – Absent

Vice President – Chris Warren

1. The Easter Egg hunt poor attended. Only Eileen and her husband. 80 eggs hidden only about 60 found If you are riding in the area, keep a sharp lookout. There is candy in them.
2. The calendar needs to be on put on the website
3. May, June and July preliminary calendars are completed.
4. 15, 16, 17th of July suggested for an overnight ride.
5. She needs some help scheduling the calendar – she can’t do it alone and is asking for volunteers for leading rides.
6. We need a combination lock at the west arena

April 30, 2011 Townsend Ranch Horse – audits available only at the Townsend Fairgrounds.

Bob motioned to approve the annual audit of the books and Chris 2nd.

New Business

The board approved the use of the clubhouse for the 4-H sale by Scott and Louis Stoner in July during Stampede. Motion to approve by Heather and 2nd by Cheryl and all approved. Kate and Heather are building a decorative buckwagon to be raffled at the Historical Fair on the walking mall May 21 and have tickets for those who would like to sell them for a fund raiser.

Announcements None

Since there was no further business before the Board -the meeting was adjourned at 7:35 P.M.

Kate Hollandsworth, Secretary

TRAIL RIDES

May 14th - Saturday evening at 7:00 p.m. at the Holding Reservoir.
Take Custer East go to York Rd. Go left and head toward York. At the Fox Ridge golf course you start heading uphill, keep heading toward York. About half way up the long hill there is a sign on the right for the holding reservoir. Turn right, follow the dirt road to the boat ramps, turn left and go to where they fly the remote airplanes and park.

May 30th - McMasters West Entrance to McMasters North. Ride at 10:00 a.m. Go just past the Glass Slipper bar and store turn left on Keir Lane. Go about 2 miles until it turns to dirt and follow around the corner to the right (which is Meadow Drive). About 1/8 mile on the right is the gate to the trailhead.

Eileen Taylor, Trail Ride Director

HISTORIAN

There will be a sign-up sheet at the May 18th meeting for people who can sit for an hour at our table at the Historical Fair May 21st. Thank you to the people who have emailed me and said they would sit for an hour but I think a sign-up sheet will make much less work for all concerned. The O-Mok-See and Trail Riding inserts have been printed and will be available at the meeting.

Cheryl Schmidt, Historian

BUILDING MAINTENANCE

I am working on the bulletin board portion of the new HTR sign (for the posting of photos and upcoming/current events). The bulletin board will go alongside our new sign in the open space on the left side. Hopefully, I can get it constructed, stained and installed by the time of our May 18th meeting.

Similarly, it is time for our 20 year-old sign to come down. Hopefully, this too will be completed by the May 18th meeting along with mowing and trimming the grass around the Clubhouse and the Announcer’s Stand.

Next, I have not heard recently from Jim Jones, Pat Jones’ son, regarding his request to use the Clubhouse on May 29th, following the service for longtime member, Pat. Most of you knew and rode with Pat over the years. So, this is just a heads up. Relative to this activity, I will get one of the new windows installed in place of the partially dismantled one before the 29th so the place is looking tip top. The remaining two windows will be installed during the summer as time permits.

Last, as most of you may recall from the recent Independent Record article, the Fairgrounds area is now part of the City of Helena. What that means for HTR is anyone’s guess. However, it is clearly in our best interests to show we take an active role in maintaining the Fairgrounds and that our presence is a financial benefit (money we earn by managing the gates at the Stampede and Fair is returned to the Fairgrounds via the improvement projects we undertake).

High Divide Trails Working Group
On April 27th an introductory meeting was held with Acting (only until July of this year) Helena District Ranger, Diane Tellaferro (sp?). Diane grew up in Helena (her dad was an engineer with the Helena Nat’l Forest), has worked for several years on the Continental Divide Trail plus related issues, and would be a great permanent replacement. Unfortunately, that isn’t going to happen because Diane has already accepted another appointment in New Mexico. Another disappointment is that longtime HNF resource person; Kurt Kuneo (sp?) is retiring soon. Kurt has been very helpful on our trail projects and his efforts will be missed. The other bit of news is one, the beetle kill has caused serious re-focusing of HNF projects (that is, priorities have been shifted) and two, HNF’s near-term focus will be on the Little Blackfoot drainage and the adjacent area. Focusing on the Little Blackfoot is, I believe, good news.

On Tuesday, May 17th there will be a Spring Planning meeting. Items on the agenda are:
--CD & Blackfoot (Lincoln Ranger District) Travel Plans, 2011,
--Helena area scheduled projects (information on these was outlined at the April meeting and is available on the www.cdtrail.org website—sign-up if you are interested), and
--Future projects in the “pipeline”.

I expect to have more detailed information available by the time of our May 18th meeting.

Bob Braico, Building Maintenance

Bits and Pieces

The WEBSITE is up and running. Please check it out. www.helenatrailriders.org

For information or to submit pictures or comments, please contact Cheryl Bryant – govcup@copper.net. Please submit pictures ONE AT A TIME or it will take her lifetime to download.

If you have anything you would like to post in the Pony Tales, please contact Cheryl Schmidt at 458-3913 or email your request to ornrycwgirl@mt.net. Please have this information to me before the 10th of the month.

Upcoming Events/Activities:

May 14th: Ride at the Holding Reservoir 7:00 p.m.
May 15th: Sonny Stiger and the Outriders will perform music at the Valley Vineyard Church on Arrowhead Drive (across from the Masonic Home) on Sunday at 7:00 p.m.
May 21st: Historical Fair in Walking Mall, set up table at 9:00 a.m. event starts at 10:00 a.m.
May 30th: Trail Ride at McMasters West Entrance to McMasters North.

Back to the top