Old year

Meeting January 19th, 2011

Board Meets: 6:30 p.m. General Meeting: 7:30 p.m.

Tonight is our election meeting and membership fees are due.

No director’s reports


Report on the Christmas Food Basket Project for 2010: We sold 56 tickets at $10.00 each making $560.00. The cost of the food for the basket was $74.00 so the club made $486.00 which is for upkeep at the West arena. The winning ticket was one of Bob and Jan Braico's granddaughters. Thank all who bought tickets. I think it was a successful fundraiser. Judy Gardner, Chairman

The January 19th meeting is our club’s election for board members and officers. Please come and vote! Or, if you are interested in being a part of the club’s board and/or being an officer please come and find out what that entails and how much fun it can be! Also, yearly membership fees are due. For the sanity of the secretary, please pay them in a timely manner. Single membership is $25.00 and family $35.00. Make your check payable to HTR and mail to P.O. Box 4801, Helena, MT 59604. To vote, you must be current on your membership dues. If you think you can’t be on the board because you don’t know what to do, please don’t let that stop you. There are plenty of people who will help you and we welcome new ideas to make the club more successful. And on a personal note, a big thanks to the people who have been on the board and officers for all the time and effort they give to the club.

Bits and Pieces

Helena Trail Rider’s Website: www.helenatrailriders.org For information or to submit pictures or comments, please contact Cheryl Bryant – govcup@copper.net. Please submit pictures ONE AT A TIME.

If you have anything you would like to post in the Pony Tales, please contact Cheryl Schmidt at 458-3913 or email your request to ornrycwgirl@mt.net. Please have this information to me before the 10th of the month.

Remember: West Arena Schedule is (exclusive use) every Tuesday and Thursday and the first Friday of the month.


In need of a handyman? I have been using a gentleman to help around my place since I hurt my finger. He is honest, has a lot of his own tools, a very good worker (and fast!) and reasonably priced. He’s not afraid to do anything and that includes shoveling horse poop, fix fence, dig fence post holes, yard work, etc. His name is Bucky and his number is 465-6309. (Cheryl Schmidt)

Good source for equine training and/or sales. Beverly Stiger sent me this link to put in the newsletter. I have not accessed the link yet but here it is. www.westernskyequine.com

Upcoming Events/Activities:

BOZEMAN -- One of the world's leading experts on equine osteoarthritis will be the featured speaker at Montana State University's sixth equine conference, to be held March 5 at the GranTree Inn in Bozeman. Wayne McIlwraith, director of the Orthopedic Research Center at Colorado State University, will present the latest research on equine arthritis during his Catlin Memorial Lecture. He will also discuss the myriad of medical and nutriceutical treatments, as well as surgical interventions that are available for horses with osteoarthritis.

In addition to McIlwraith's lecture, the equine conference will offer several breakout sessions and a trade show. The conference -- on a one-year hiatus after the retirement of Sandy Gagnon -- has been resurrected by Shannon Moreaux, MSU Extension equine specialist, veterinarian and assistant professor at MSU.

For more information about the conference or to be included on a mailing list about the conference, contact Julie Hager at jhager@montana.edu : Evelyn Boswell, (406) 994-5135 or evelynb@montana.edu

Taking the Horses Over to the Neighbor’s for a Trail Ride? Here’s What You Might Need

Horse Transportation Documents

Back in the day not much was needed to take horses over the creek to the neighbor’s, but now a brand inspection is the minimum requirement if that neighbor is in a different county. In most cases, if you’re just heading to another county, a brand inspection is all you’ll need. But, if your heading out-of-state, the brand inspection, current negative Coggins test, and up-to-date vaccination record is needed. Crossing state borders you’ll need a brand inspection, negative Coggins, vaccinations, Certificate of Veterinary Inspections (CVI) and import permit are usually required. All of the requirements may seem daunting, but actually it’s only a bit harder to go see your neighbor now.

You may be thinking why do I need all of those and what is the purpose of a brand inspection? Besides being a major part of Montana’s history, according to the Department of Livestock website, brands help prevent loss and theft of livestock, assist with the movement of livestock through markets channels, and are used to identify livestock in animal health emergencies. In general, a grand inspection is required:

Before removal from the county
Before removal from the state
Before a change of ownership (selling one head or more of horses)
Before cattle or horses are sold at a livestock auction
Before slaughter at a licensed establishment

To acquire a brand inspection, call the Brands Enforcement Division of the Department of Livestock at (406) 444-2045 or visit www.liv.mt.gov.

The length, location, and destination (are you trail riding with a friend or does a horse show want you to have a current negative Coggins Test and health certificate) of your travel determines the necessity of the other documents. The best way to find out what is needed is to call your veterinarian and notify them of your travel plans. Most veterinary practices have up-to-date information concerning each state’s regulations, and will be able to tell you exactly what you will need because transportation requirements may be different for each state.

Brand Recording

It has already been a decade since the last time you rerecorded your brand, and next year will be time to do it again. In 2011, the Montana Department of Livestock (MDOL) will be taking brand rerecords. Currently, MDOL is asking for brand owner to clarify that their current address is up-to-date. Many addresses have changed in the past ten years because of the restructuring of the 911 systems. To update, visit www.rerecord.mt.gov, call the Rerecord Hotline at (406)444-4999, or visit a brand office for a mail-in card.

In January 2011 MDOL will send out brand renewal notices. The fee to renew is the same as it was in 2001, $100. If you do not receive your notice, please contact MDOL. It is important to note that you can’t rerecord your brand until you receive a rerecord notice. “If you send us a check now, we’ll just have to send it back”, notes John Grainger, the MDOL Brands Division administrator.

The MDOL still rerecords brands to assure owners keep ownership and allow others to purchase vacated brands.

“Brands are a big part of the state’s history. It’s something people take seriously and there’s some colorful history about rustlers who tried to beat the system and found the business end of a rope. It’s a system that’s worked well for 150– years and it still works well today,” said Grainger.

The Department of Livestock in Helena is the place to answer numerous questions involving livestock. Visit www.mt.gov/liv for detailed information.

www.rerecord.mt.gov Rerecord Hotline (406)444-4999 Secondary Line (406) 444-2045
Brands Recorder (406) 444-3812 Public Information Officer (406) 444-9431
New brands: http:/liv.mt.gov/liv/be/transvfrs.asp.asp
Brand Transfers: http:/liv.mt.gov/liv/be/transfers.asp

Note: This year all brands are up for re-recording. You have until December of 2011 to renew your brand.

Ten Mile Drivers are having their annual membership drive on January 15, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. in the basement conference room at Helena Community Credit Union at 915 Kessler. (Across from Brew House.) Coffee and rolls will be provided. Please come and see what we’re all about! If you are not interested in driving or don’t own a cart or wagon, there is an on-going need for outriders and wagon riders. Dues are $20.00.

“I’d rather have a horse with a perfect mind than a perfect head”

Back to the Top